Connect With Peng Energy

Garuda Pandit is an accomplished practioner and teacher of the usage of Qi in various forms. He will post texts which will help anyone learn how to use Qi and thus strengthen their body and mind.
GPandit

Connect With Peng Energy

Post by GPandit »

Mind/Body Connection Step 1: Peng

Peng is a word often used in Chinese Martial Arts, but it seems difficult to describe. The best way to understand "peng" is to experience it directly. I’d like to offer a couple of exercises that will help one to feel "peng" first-hand.

Why Peng?

First let me explain peng from a martial art point of view, since that is from where most of my training derives. Peng power is kind of like a big bouncy ball (like the big air-filled balls used for exercise nowadays). If you were to try to jump through the air and land (in sitting position) on top of a ball like that, it would prove quite difficult. Most of the time, the ball would fly out in another direction since it is difficult to find the balance point. The natural buoyancy of the ball makes it a difficult target to approach.

So Peng is similar to the feeling of a ball, sometimes you hear people talk about the Tai Chi Ball. That "ball" is more than the space between one’s hands or even the space between ones hands and body. Sometimes it is much more subtle.

Peng Awareness Exercise #1 (Feeling the spaces between joints)

From a comfortable standing position, allow your arms to hang loosely by your sides. Knees unlocked, shoulders relaxed, stomach relaxed, top of head lightly pulling upward, tongue at roof of mouth.

Breathe naturally and feel the space in your wrist joints. In other words, become aware of the area of your wrist bones. Feel as if there is a space between your hands and forearms. It is quite easy to feel the warmth located in the wrist joints. After you have become aware of the space in the wrists, begin to feel the spaces between each of your joints. Progress slowly to your elbows, shoulders, ankles, knees, hips. Just feel the space in the joints.

This is an awareness exercise, the first, most basic practice for internal training. Peng energy is closely connected to "rooting" in internal arts So the next exercise will combine the rooting foundation (developed via the Standing Chi Kung) with the peng awareness.

Peng Awareness Exercise #2 (One Hand Holds The Ball)

Stand with one leg forward, approximately 60% of the body weight on the front leg. If your right leg is forward, lift your right arm and hold it at chest level in front of you. Your palm should be facing your chest, as if embracing a large ball. Your other hand is down by your opposite leg, waist level with the palm facing toward the ground.

Stand comfortably and feel as if you are holding a light ball, something like a beach ball. Use just enough force to keep your arm in position. I usually tell people to imagine carrying this ball like this for a mile or so. If you squeezed too hard, your arm would grow quite weary rather quickly. Okay so you relax into this position.

You will need a partner now, to complete the next part of this exercise. It is your partner’s job to lightly push against the arm that you are "holding" the ball with. This is where you must use peng energy. If you relax your arm too much, it will fold back against your chest. If you use too much muscular force, it will cause you to lose the internal connection. Your partner pushes lightly and releases, kind of like gently rocking a tree.

Next you need to "root" yourself by!!relaxing. Pretend you are holding a ball lightly, and when your partner pushes, they should feel as if their push is rooting you into the ground. It does take some practice and training to develop this, but when you can relax properly, both you and your partner will notice the change. Conversely, if you tighten your muscles and resist, your partner will feel as if the push is "localized" in your upper body. You’ll feel disconnected from your internal connection.

I hope I explained this well, and that you will try this and begin to connect peng energy with relaxed rooting. I’m always open for questions, comments or snide remarks.

Respectfully,
GP
What we do in life, echoes in Eternity