Our goals and objectives

A place to ask Hari, exchange ideas with him, give some suggestions, or share some ideas with him on existence. This forum is not the place to discuss anything related to his former status or situation. Hari will reply to all texts.
Drpta

Our goals and objectives

Post by Drpta »

Hi Hari,
I have a question. In ISKCON, as well as in all other religions, they constantly told us that the higher purpose of life is to return to back home back to Godhead and so on. So, now I have a doubt, is it our real purpose? Since we live on this Earth planet, may be it will be better for us to realize our earthy, material desires and needs we have, than mostly neglect them in our aspiration to reach the God or any kind of spirituality or spiritual experience like getting contact with Devine? If, all of the sudden, when we die, we find, that been pursuing these goals we missed the main things, for which we had born on this planet?
Being made by God’s plan, this material world is perfect as it is, with all that things exist within it, as I think. Then, why should we look for any spirituality in this material world? May be it meant for another things and spiritual things more easily can be attained in another worlds? Why should we push our evolution? May be it happens of itself?
I am sorry if this sounds somewhat challengeable but I want to clarify this point.

P.S. You know, while I was writing this text, I, all of the sudden, realize that without all this “spiritual things” it will be very bored for me in this world.
Drpta

Re: Our goals and objectives

Post by Drpta »

Actually I wrote this question as a private mail, but by Hari’s permission I placed his answer here.
I have a question. In ISCON, as well as in all other religions, they constantly told us that the higher purpose of life is return to back home back to Godhead and so on. So, now I have a doubt, is it our real purpose?
It is hard to answer a question that requires us to determine our "real" purpose, because the word "real" implies that we have a purpose we are expected to fulfill. This purpose transcends our present existence since it has been given to us by some higher power and our destiny is to find out what it is so that we can do what we are supposed to do. This places the control of our life in the hands of someone else. This is a typical modern religious ideal, also accepted by ISKCON, that tells that we are small and insignificant, but when we can find out our place in the big machine and do what we are supposed to do, we shall be perfect. Such philosophies are good for creating workers who will sacrifice themselves for the sake of the religion and its institutional needs.

Did God make man with the idea to fulfill some goal? This seems to usurp our personal integrity and responsibility. I think God wishes us to be the best we can be as we are. After all, we cannot be anything else.
Since we live on this Earth planet, may be it will be better for us to realize our earthy, material desires and needs we have,
Even when someone joins a religious order, for example, they have a need to fulfill that is not always spiritual. They may be afraid, in need of shelter, trying to avoid pain or some social responsibility, or a wide variety of other self absorbed desires. No one can avoid the needs and desires of this world. Some are better at attaining their desires than others, but everyone has desires and needs and everyone works to fulfill them to some extent.
than mostly neglect them in our aspiration to reach the God or any kind of spirituality or spiritual experience like getting contact with Devine? If, all of the sudden, when we die, we find, that been pursuing these goals we missed the main things, for which we had born on this planet?
I think we should use what we have and understand the essence we are within and act according to our essence within this environment. Then we miss nothing. Act within this world in awareness of the life within it.
Being made by God’s plan, this material world is perfect as it is, with all that things exist within it, as I think. Then, why should we look for any spirituality in this material world? May be it meant for another things and spiritual things more easily can be attained in another worlds?
Um, if we are spirit and we are essence, then that spiritual essence goes with us wherever we are and can never be destroyed. Since all are essence, we are surrounded by spirit everywhere. So how can we avoid it if we are aware of spirit? This world is called material by those who are ignorant of its actual nature. It is filled with spirit, the matter is a label on that which we do not see spirit.
Why should we push our evolution? May be it happens of itself?
It does, but if we desire to grow, become strong, or become all that we can be, we push it to fulfill our desires.
I am sorry if this sounds somewhat challengeable but I want to clarify this point.

P.S. You know, while I was writing this letter, I, all of the sudden, realize that without all this “spiritual things” it will be very bored for me in this world.
Of course. You like spiritual awareness, so you desire it. Because you are spirit, you desire to expand your awareness and interact with spirit in the form of other living beings. No one needs push you towards this. The more aware you are of spirit, the more you naturally want it.
Drpta

Post by Drpta »

Thanks a lot Hari for your answers. It clarified many things for me, but gave rise to new. I have to digest what you wrote.
Drpta

Post by Drpta »

Did God make man with the idea to fulfill some goal?
I think that for man it is inherent to strive for goals he made in his lifetime. Our senses naturally gravitate to the respective objects. For example the Sun. When we see it we can become desirous to reach it like Icarus. The same is about Radha-Krsna. We have heard that they live in pure spiritual realm, which is very attractive for us, who live here, down in this “awful material world”, as those religionists instilled to us. It makes us eager to reach Them, isn’t it? And, if it is not so, again, the God is so attractive, that it is very difficult to stop ourselves to strive to Him consciously or unconsciously.
Okay, let us suppose that this “localized” aspect of God like Radha-Krsna is far beyond of our perception and understanding. Then why they told us about Them? It looks like lure, isn’t it? This unreachable god is only distracts our minds.
Okay, God created man, and being the creature of God man is perfect. Then why this perfect man, being born in this world is so unaware? Why he needs to be more conscious and aware then he is? Why should he be aware that world around him is manifestation of God and spiritual of itself rather than just perceive it like it is? It is like when Krsna has lived on this Earth, someone sees God in Him, but others just a man. What difference? He remains to be God in spite of their views, and they certainly look at God, even being unconscious about that. What difference between being aware or unaware? It is only soothing my mind but do not changes me. Is fear influences soul? If God wanted us be aware of true nature of the world then He will be created us like that, isn’t it? But He didn’t. Or if He did, then why we don’t aware?
Drpta

Post by Drpta »

Hari, you often use word essence. Is the essence mean soul?
Drpta

Post by Drpta »

I find interesting quote from don Miguel Ruiz’s book in Nandagrama’s (rest her soul) topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=713
She wrote:
“Когда говорим о толтекском пути к свободе, мы подразумеваем, что существует карта освобождения от прирученности, одомашнивания. Толтеки сравнивают Судью, Жертву и систему верований с паразитом, вторгающимся в человеческий разум. С их точки зрения, все одомашненные люди нездоровы. Они больны, потому что паразит управляет их сознанием и мозгом. Он питается отрицательными эмоциями, порождаемыми страхом”.

“When we speak about toltec’s path for freedom, we mean that there is a map of liberation from domestication and taming. Toltecs compare Judge, Victim and structure of faith (religion) with parasite, which invaded into human mind. From their point of view all “domesticated” people are sick. They are sick because parasite controls their consciousness and brain. It feeds with their negative emotions caused by fear”.
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

To answer in the reverse order of these three texts:

If domestication and taming dull our awareness and prevent our seeing the world as it truly is, then indeed they are an obstacle to be overcome. Whether or not that is true depends on the training and ideals of each individual. Any system that dulls our connection to the energy that pervades all creation is not useful.

The words "spirit" or "soul" or the overly-redundant ;-) "spirit soul" imply to certain persons an energy that is beyond our reach in our present condition. There are many connotations to these words that I would rather avoid, so I use a word that, in my mind at least, helps me open the door to higher awareness bypassing previously accepted limitations. Spirit is all pervading, God is everywhere in all things and therefore ultimately all things are divine. We designate some things as better, some as worse and some as terrible. The energy of things is one -- the spiritual energy that exists everywhere. This is the essence of all things, all beings, all existence. Essence is that beyond which you cannot go. It is what makes something what it is. I am essence, as are you, as is the divine. This word, in my opinion, is exactly what I wish to express when I discuss topics surrounding awareness, consciousness, energy, life itself and the force that we know ourselves to be.

You seem to assume in your text about the "idea of God," that the world be are born into is somehow distinct from this energetic essence and it is usually beyond people's capacity to know this divine energy. It seems to me that you are equating the idea of being in illusion as being the reality we are born into and therefore we might find it better to be concerned only with this existence and not try to find out something "beyond" it. Although this is an interesting question, its premise is false.

This world is based in spirit. All life, regardless of where it is found, is the spiritual energy of the essence we are. Most of what is interesting in this world is living. There are some nonliving things that we desire, such as diamonds, oil, or the earth we use in our garden, but many of them are a product of living creatures long ago. Diamonds are carbon, oil decomposed bodies, the earth layers increase regularly by decaying bodies. Life is everywhere within all things, although some of this life is microscopic. Some substances are devoid of life, like lead or gold, and we value them because we can use them to make things. We have given them value, otherwise they are lifeless.

The real nature of this world is essence. God has given us awareness, intelligence, logic, reason, the capacity to feel and think, so that we can live a life of awareness of what is. Spiritual awareness and awareness of our world are not very different and ultimately require the same capacity and training to connect to the energy that pervades all existence.

I think it is safe to say that once again God has shown how perfectly He and She arrange this world for the sake of all. Now we should learn how to not screw it up. But even if we do, the suffering and chaos that ensues educates us to better ourselves later on. Ultimately, it all works out.
Drpta

Post by Drpta »

Okay, as I understand (with Maha’s help) that there are two obvious truths:
1. This world is not distinct from its energetic essence.
2. People have a capacity to understand this divine energy.
But two questions remain:
1. If we are in illusion then there is a reason to look something for beyond it.
2. If we are in reality then we perceive real world, its energetic essence, divine energy and God everywhere. And this is only question of our awareness.
And why it is so difficult to develop our capacity for such awareness? May be because people don’t like it themselves?
Drpta

Post by Drpta »

And I like to add to my previous post that may be there is a kind of pollution which prevents our awareness and we need to clean it out?
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

1. If we are in illusion then there is a reason to look something for beyond it.
Yes, if you do not like being in illusion. Some people like it.
2. If we are in reality then we perceive real world, its energetic essence, divine energy and God everywhere. And this is only question of our awareness.
Ideally, yes, but part of our existence in this life is to face challenges and obstacles. They help us to develop the qualities we require. If we walked around seeing God everywhere we would not be on the same wavelength as everyone else in the world. This would create even more challenges and obstacles.
And why it is so difficult to develop our capacity for such awareness? May be because people don’t like it themselves?
We are conditioned by our environment and the people around us. We are taught to think and believe in a certain manner, even if we consider ourselves free from outside influences. To understand the true nature of consciousness is difficult and can only be done by a dedicated seeker of the truth. Courage and heart are required.
Drpta

Post by Drpta »

Yes, if you do not like being in illusion. Some people like it.
What is the illusion? May be there are only different levels of awareness of reality? And who is Maya in light of matter, what is her role in this affair?
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

I do not use the word illusion. You will not find it in my lectures and usually not in my written texts unless I am forced to deal with this concept when replying to a question. I see no value in discussing it because everyone has a different idea of what illusion is, what it is caused by, and its relative importance to us in our lives. Even if you think that multiple people share a common scriptural conception of it, you will see them act differently from each other, sometimes contradictorily, even hypocritically. Indeed, much discussion takes place either justifying these differences or criticizing others for not seeing things the same way we do.

There are different levels of awareness of reality, but whether there are "only" different levels of awareness is not a question I want to address in this brief reply. One could say that awareness is everything (Kind of like Schrodinger’s cat in the box) but since there are far more things in existence than we are aware of, moved by forces beyond our control that impress upon our consciousness and mold it, our power to influence the world around us according to our desires is limited to the choices we make in the present.

If we are molded by these forces, are we in illusion? This question is deeper than it might appear. Is our conception that our awareness is all important the “real” illusion? Or is illusion ultimately something we create by our acceptance of it? And if I create something, is it really illusion to me? Is my creation original or is it suggested by someone or something else?

If I want something, it is real to me and what is real to me is not an illusion. If I choose to think something is what someone else thinks it is not, then which of us is in illusion? Are neither of us in illusion because we decide what to believe or not to believe by our own free will, or are both of us in illusion? And if everything is illusion except those things you cannot directly perceive (due to their being in another realm that is free from illusion) does the term have any value? If we call everything “awesome,” in reality nothing is awesome. Is our free will the only non-illusion in our lives? But are we truly free to act as we wish? Examine your options at the present moment. How much freedom do you truly have? Can you do anything you want or is your action restricted by your circumstances?

What if I know that I am essence and yet I dive into a good food, get scared when a monster screams out of the TV, enjoy the love of someone I know does not really love me, or vote for a candidate who says they shall do good for the world but never does? Spiritualists can easily call all these things illusion within the realm of maya. Can you know that you are essence yet act within maya? And if you act within maya and embrace it to maximize your experience, are you really in illusion or are you the master of it?

Ja ja, I know! Bad me for even saying this! :007 But I think about this stuff now and then. Not everything is obvious in this existence. As far as I am concerned, nothing is obvious! If we allow ourselves to perceive with our consciousness unimpeded by our behaviorally modified conceptions, we see quite differently. Indeed, the same thing can appear in many different ways according to the time we view it, the place where it is viewed, or the mood we are in at the time, amongst thousands of other factors. So where is the illusion when everything is relative? This is simply the nature of reality — calling it illusion does not change that or protect us from it.

There are things I reject because I do not like them. I shall not drink or smoke, for example, because it is unhealthy and unattractive to me. I do not avoid these acts because I think they are maya and those who do this are in illusion, I avoid them because I do not like them. Someone might say that my petting my dog is illusion because he is a mere beast! I even call him a beast and he likes it! This makes me want to pet him more. If this is illusion, then I like it. Some things I like, some I do not like. Although I am in this world, I am not of this world, and I have to do something. I can take care of my deities on Sunday and then enjoy a dinner with my parents and friends after that, and not one word about the Supreme is mentioned! My God! Maya to the highest degree!

I might, therefore, like to be in states of consciousness that are different, for this makes things interesting. Sure, I would rather be doing something spiritually really exciting with some really cool aware people, but honestly, this is rare. Life goes on and something has to be done at all times. One cannot pay the bills meditating. One cannot live life avoiding it.
Drpta

Post by Drpta »

Cool! I share all you said. 100%. Really.
Drpta

Post by Drpta »

Hari, I have a question. You say that God is both, Radha and Krisna. But many people like to adore only one of Them as their very intimate object. Like a lover for example. And it is naturally based on point that people have two sexes (it is interesting, does soul have sex or sexual preferences?) as well as God. For some women it is unacceptable to see Radha near Krisna since they feel so extreme love to Krisna. Can we say that such kinds of people have a kind of deficiency or misunderstanding?
And if it is natural for woman to see Krisna as her lover, does it natural for man to see Radha as his lover? (In ISKCON, I think, such a thought will be considered as extreme blasphemy).
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

I would never say that anyone's inclination to relate with Radha or Krsna is deficient or a misunderstanding! How one relates to either or both of them is entirely up to them. I also do not wish to comment on relationships with them because I do not wish to interfere in the processes that naturally occur as one becomes closer to the divine.

Hmmm, if you saw Radha as your lover then you would be in competition with Krsna. What can you imagine this would mean?