Questions about dark old days

Days gone by are remembered as good or bad according to our desire. Although we are not encouraging anyone to post texts in this forum, if anyone feels a need to discuss things related to their former times in a spiritual movement or to ventilate their feelings, this is the place to do it. Please maintain proper decorum and do not flame others or other organizations. Any comments or statements herein are the opinions of the poster's alone and have no connection to harimedia.net or its administrators.
innuendo

Questions about dark old days

Post by innuendo »

Dear Hari,

It’s so great to have an opportunity to communicate through internet and I’d like to use it.
I feel like I can not go further if I do not understand the past.

I wonder how devotees became guru in those "Good old days"?
What was the main motive to take disciples and lead them without getting to know them first?
How did they allow to call them "unalloyed devotees" and "pure devotees"?
Why they did not accept shiksha guru?

Thank you in advance for your honest answers.
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

Dear innuendo

I wonder the following:

I wonder how devotees became disciples in those "Good Old Days?"

What was their main motive to take a guru without getting to know them first?

Why did they call their guru an unalloyed devotee or a pure devotee?

Why did they not accept siksa gurus?

When you answer this, you will have answered your question. And no, this is not a trick answer to avoid the topic, it is an honest answer.

You see, you and us are very similar.
Last edited by Hari on Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Auttareya

Post by Auttareya »

Hari wrote: When you answer this, you will have answered your question. And no, this is not a trick answer to avoid the topic, it is an honest answer.
Good questions and stupid answers.
sri

Post by sri »

Your comment is puzzling. What is stupid in the answers to this questions?

Let us see.

How did the people become disciples/gurus?

I was told that is what I should do, it is the way in the religion I chose to follow. "Just approach the spiritual master...".
Indeed I knew that before I joined. I sat there on my balcony looking down toward the sun setting in the see and thought what a responsibility I would be taking on myself by becoming a disciple and taking a guru. For my actions will affect him, that´s what I was told. Then comes the other quote, the one about becoming a spiritual master, a preacher... I guess that is how some guys got into being the gurus. They were told to, weren´t they? If you are going to be a good catholic, you are hardly going to question a Pope.

How did some bloke got himself into taking disciples withought getting to know them and how did some other bloke, or the lady got themselves into taking a guru before getting to know him?

Amen. Are you guys being serious? Did we all really had time and space for it? Did Prabhupada do that? Did even Lord Caitanya really do that? When you sit in a classroom as a teacher, you hope to get to know your student and do something good for them and from them. And if you are a student you count that the goverment did the basic check-up of your teacher and that you are going to build a good relationship with him and get some good guidence from him. If you are serious, that is. We maybe just give people some credit and get on working to build up the relationship. Then of course we may be all having a bad luck in getting some selfimposed student who wants to protect the teacher from us, but my teacher hasn´t really allowed it, whenever he saw it happen.
And I had personally done my homework in choosing to whom I listen and I have not been let down. I also made sure that I do build a good relationship withought bothering too much. :)

The guru guys allow others to call them unalloyed and pure devotees, and disciples really do call them such things. ?!

Well, sorry guys, I´ve never done it. Not because I didn´t think they are respectable man, but because I heard my spiritual master, and that would be Harikesh, saying that he did not like it. Besides him, I personally, with my own ears heard at least four other gurus say the same thing. I saw them suffer under such words, but it was a part of the rules in the line we follow. You call yourself the worm (the gurus in particular) and you praise the others to the skies, all you consider better then yourself, not only the gurus. I myself have been called such names and I did not like them either, but to oppose them would usually be taken as my further sign of "humblness". I don´t appreaciate people thinking bad of themselves, thinking themselves lawer in any way and I did not like that part of the ISKCON culture and phylosophy. Then again it isn´t just a ISKCON stuff. Seen "The life of Brian"? He says he is not Messiah, he must be Messiah. The wonders of human mind.

They did not accept siksa?

Ok, I have no idea what is this about. I never heard that there was a problem in this regard. So, this answer of mine is possibly stupid.

I suspect that you actually haven´t taken the time to answer the questions. You just wanted somebody else to answer them for you. I have noticed that many people in ISKCON (again I should write - those serching shelter in religion) do like to be given answers instead of having to think for themselves. It is more comfortable way and promised to be less dangerous. For the case you ask unthinkible question. However, if you do ask such a question, you may find it surprising that God did not strike you with the thunderbolt for it, but offered you his loving hand as a help. God is not as scared as humans (that are the base of organized religions after all) and will hardly mind you finding your own answers. Experianced answers are the ones that are rooted deeper and more clear then the ones taught by others and served accompanied with fear.

Having said this it may come accross as somewhat harsh and that is not my intention, so I apologize here and now if this offends someone. I´ve just finished reading Dan Browns Angels and Demons and may be slightly influenced by it :)
It is just that I have heard many devotees and ex devotees ask those questions again and again but they don´t really find their own answer to it, and I think it would be helpfull for leaving the past behind if they would be helped in doing this. Only when they find their own satisfiying answers will they be able to make peace with their own past and take responsibility for their own past decisions and not feel bad or stupid for it. The above was my way of finding my answers.

Wishing you all the best

your not very humble servant Sri
Auttareya

Post by Auttareya »

sri wrote:Your comment is puzzling. What is stupid in the answers to this questions?
Odpowiedzi szukaj w śastrach, a w szczególności w Bhagawad-gicie.
Poprzez medium pism świętych zrozumieć możesz misterium związku mistrza duchowego i ucznia.
Mistrz duchowy, guru, to coś więcej niż zwykły nauczyciel i zgodnie z śastrami musi posiadać bardzo specyficzne kwalifikacje by reprezentować Najwyższą Osobę Boga i autoryzowany system przekazu wiedzy. Uczeń także musi mieć odpowiednie kwalifikacje, ale jakościowo nie są one tego samego formatu co kwalifikacje mistrza duchowego.
Mam nadzieję, że ten punkt nie podlega dyskusji.

Aby naprawdę zrozumieć, co więcej, zrealizować misterium związku mistrza duchowego i ucznia należy bardzo głęboko uświadomić sobie wagę odpowiedzialności, jaką każde z nich bierze na swoje barki we wzajemnej relacji w relacji z Najwyższą Osobą Boga.

A więc jeśli uczeń nie jest kwalifikowany, to mamy kłopot, ale jeśli osoba na pozycji guru jest niekwalifikowana, to to jest już naprawdę poważny problem, a konsekwencje tego są bardzo daleko idące.
Oczywiście można wiele zrozumieć i wiele wybaczyć jeśli były mistrz duchowy jest pokorny i bez zakłamania patrzy w przeszłość, ale zbywanie ważkich pytań jakimiś infantylnymi trikami, unikanie tematu, czy też innego rodzaju próby uciekania od odpowiedzialności przed Bogiem są już nie tylko wyrazem nieszczerości i wybujałego egoizmu, ale także, a może przede wszystkim są zwykłym aktem tchórzostwa.
sri

Post by sri »

Auch. How am I to deal with something I do not understand. I do not speak polish. I have taken help from a translator program but I did not get much viser. I should guess from that much that I could understand that you are talking about sastric comment on how one SHOULD choose a guru and what are the qualities of the bonafide guru and a disciple.

Fine and right and I have nothing to argue on that. Fair and square. But I got the starting question as seeking personal answers on what actually happenned and what went (as it seems in some eyes) wrong. Teory is a lovely thing but I am a person that seeks answers in practical events and people around me to verify and confirm the teories I am being told. I believe that everything that is written may be questioned for it was written and interpreted by people.

Never the less, as I say I cannot have a dialog when I do not know what the other person is saying and I may have misunderstood the initial question too. Thanks for your time.

Sri

here is what my translator gave me, if anyone is wandering what I am commenting on

Correspondent seeks on śastrach, and in particular on Bhagawad gicie. Throughout medium writings the saint clear you are at liberty to mystery federations boss duchowego as well apprentices. Boss spiritual, gurus, this something above wonted tutor as well with respect to śastrami must possess very specyficzne skill level by represent Supremely Person The rich as well authorized arrangement remittance scholarship. Apprenticeship trainee item must possess correspondent skill level, whereas qualitatively are not they this samego formattes what skill level boss duchowego. I hope, that this spot not low dispute. To verily clear, what is more, cash a cheque mystery federations boss duchowego as well apprentices docket very deep realize wagę trust, which każde ex nich passive to homelike shoulders in wzajemnej accounts on accounts ex Supremely Person The rich. Well supposing apprenticeship trainee is not certificated, this we've worry, whereas supposing person to item gurus is not unqualified, this to wit yet verily earnest problem, and after-effects this are not very wide idące. That is an understood thing there is room to Wiele clear as well Wiele pardon supposing were boss spiritual is not submissive as well ex mendacity patroness on past hope, whereas leftovers dragonflies puts who infantile trikami, avoidance topic, whether too other type trials bilking ex trust prior Goddess are not yet not only word insincerity as well rankness selfishness, whereas item, and may to start with are not wonted aktem recreancy.
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

Auttareya's points make sense if you believe the ideas he quotes as the only basis upon which to understand life. From his point of view, my answers are useless as they do not address the ideas he feels should be addressed. In his mind, these ideas are the only ideas and all other ideas have no value. All that counts to him is scripture and all that comes with it.

I do not share this point of view, neither do I feel I have any need or responsibility to represent a belief system, a philosophy, or what others believe. I have often expressed ideas that are contrary to those expressed by Auttareya and others who share his belief system.

Since this is obvious to one and all who take part in what we do in harimedia land, and since I do not have to answer questions the way others expect me to, I stand by my answer as it was meant to help us think about why we all did what we did. For those who do not wish to think, do not wish to examine, or do not wish to challenge their beliefs, these answers sound stupid. For those who appreciate looking at all aspects of life from any point of view that expands their awareness and ultimately assists spiritual development, my answers are useful.
Auttareya

Post by Auttareya »

Mądrzejsze jajo od kury.
harsi

Post by harsi »

» Get the most out of your PC

Download: GoogleTranslator Version 2.4
No translation yet for the Polish language.

Image Picture Organizer Picasa
But I found a good tool to organize my pictures on my PC... :wink:
Open up your mind and heart to new experiences of consciousness.
Sambhu das

Post by Sambhu das »

Dear Auttareya,

For me, Haris answer is clear, and that is that it was you who took initiation and therefore I ask, wasn´t it your responsibility?

Regards; Sambhu das
Auttareya

Post by Auttareya »

Sambhu das wrote:Dear Auttareya,
For me, Haris answer is clear, and that is that it was you who took initiation and therefore I ask, wasn´t it your responsibility?
Regards; Sambhu das
W tej chwili żadna, w tej chwili nie mam mistrza duchowego, a co gorsze nigdy go nie miałem, przynajmniej w tym życiu. Ten, który prezentował się jako mistrz duchowy przed tysiącami podobnych mi szczerych osób, był oszustem. Przez dwadzieścia kilka lat robił sieczkę z mózgów swoich tak zwanych uczniów, by na końcu olać to wszystko, odrzucić autorytet pism świętych, odrzucić autorytet Śrila Prabhupada i wszystko to, co tak żarliwie nauczał.
Co gorsze nie potrafi spojrzeć obiektywnie na swoją przeszłość, przekręca fakty, a nawet śmie w swoich tekstach klasyfikować podobne mi osoby zgodnie ze swoimi obecnymi wyobrażeniami.
To zaczyna być chore. Nie jest alfą i omegą, tylko zagubionym człowiekiem.

Mimo to, życzę mu szczęścia, bo każdy na szczęście zasługuje. Widać nasza relacja musi być taka trochę rycerska, a mój do niego żal stopniowo opada.
Ostatecznie każdy idzie swoją własną ścieżką ku przeznaczeniu.
sri

This is getting out of line

Post by sri »

It sounds to me that is time people ask themselves what are they doing on this site. What is it you want from Hari?

Auttareya prabhu, you had a various posts in english, suddenly we have to list (find) out the simplest of sentences meaning by looking for translators. I did this out of respect for the one speaking, in this case you. But a comment such as "Egg is smarter then a hen" (the short one with "jajo" in it) can surely be said in english. To me it also says that you like being a parrot, not really a smart egg. Why are you hanging around on this site? If Hari is deminishing in your eyes, if you think him a "swindler" for cheating you into believing that he was a super and a perfection and you don´t find him to be so, and you don´t respect him for not being so, why hang around? I can respect your feelings, your point of you, your disappointment (bear in mind I see it as your disappointment that may not be mine or somebodies elses), but you still want somebody else to take responsibility for your own actions and that problem you should not wash with those that do not want to do your wash for you.

My personal impression is that this site is not ment for those that want to paint their old guru black (put him down) or paint him gold (raise him to heavens) but for people who want to hear another human being with lot of (interesting) experiance about life, a good handfull of knowledge, interest in other people and joy of living. If they too happen to have some of those qualities then they will probably easier experiance a feeling of understanding, otherwise probably respect and interest, but if you are getting sad and disappointed again and again, then it is maybe time to go further and leave the others to live their lives.

Just to be clear, the above are the retorical questions, I do not need any answers to them, they are meant for you to think for yourself. This whole post is just my statement of my own understanding that this discusion is starting to turn into some personal crusade on whose point of life is the right one. Crusades, as you know, took many lives and at the end did not give winners.

I do apologize to the administrator of this whole site, Hari and anybody else who finds me too streightforward and putting myself in others arguments.

respectfully

Sri
Auttareya

Re: This is getting out of line

Post by Auttareya »

Pytasz, co porabiam na tej stronie?

Głównie słucham muzyki. Czasami czytam posty. Bardzo rzadko coś komentuję.
Jeśli ktoś bawi się w adwokata Hari, to mu odpowiadam.
Mam do tego prawo, a jeśli się to komuś nie podoba, to przecież może nie czytać moich postów lub wręcz zablokować mój akces do tej strony.

Ale wiedz, że radość życia, o której wspominasz jako jeden z celów tej strony, zawsze będzie ograniczona, jeśli pozbawisz jej różnorodności. A różnorodność bywa nieprzewidywalna, gdyż jej Stwórca jest niepojęty i nieograniczony. Jeśli nałożysz klapki na oczy, to będziesz widział tylko wycinek rzeczywistości, nawet wtedy, gdy to co wycinasz ze swojej percepcji jest czymś trudnym do zaakceptowania. I nie znaczy to, że problem przestaje istnieć.

W moim zrozumieniu istota zagadnienia tkwi nie tyle w rozjaśnianiu czy przyciemnianiu perspektywy naszego podejścia do spraw dnia codziennego, ale na postrzeganiu siebie, naszej własnej jaźni, jako twórczego "antymaterialnego" fenomenu, który jest "inaczej usytuowany" jak to precyzuje Śrila Prabhupada i przez to konstytucjonalnie posiada swoisty dystans do tego, z czym wchodzimy w relacje w naszym uwarunkowanym pojmowaniu rzeczywistości i w następstwie tego reaktywuje zdolność uświadamiania w sobie bogactwa wolności podejmowanych decyzji.
Jednakże, aby załagodzić przekłamania wynikające w prostej linii z następstw naszego uwarunkowania, czy też rozjaśnić klarowność postrzeganych zjawisk, należy wzbogacić nasze zrozumienie uniwersalnych prawd rzeczywistości bogactwem prawdy samego siebie. Oznacza to czystość wewnętrzną, szczerość naszych wysiłków i życie w prawdzie zarówno w tych aspektach, które przynoszą nam chwałę jak i w tych aspektach, które nam tę chwałę umniejszają. Innymi słowy powinniśmy pogodzić się z tym, że błądzimy i popełniamy błędy, gdyż przyjmowanie odpowiedzialności, nie uciekanie przed następstwami naszych błędów i świadome Kryszny próby naprawiania tych błędów w bardzo poważny sposób rozjaśniają naszą zdolność widzenia samego siebie i świata takim jakim on jest, a nie takim jakim z powodu uwarunkowania czy też nawet z powodu naszych tzw. duchowych sentymentów wyobrażamy sobie.
Błędy, które popełniamy, kiedy uświadamiane z perspektywy filozofii Vaisnava, niosą w sobie nie tylko wskazówki o istocie zaburzeń klarowności naszej oryginalnej percepcji, ale także (doskonale dobrane do danego przypadku) potencjalne informacje poprawy i niczym choroba są symptomem i następstwem odchylenia od stanu równowagi. Taka specyfika zawiłości naszego uwarunkowania wyrażająca się w akcjach i reakcjach mentalnych, emocjonalnych, werbalnych i ostatecznie na planie fizycznym, jest swoistym odbiciem czy też wypaczonym przez fałszywe ego refleksem oryginalnych przejawień naszych oryginalnych aktywności na planie jaźni w jej czystym stanie. Tak jak rdza, która pokrywa metal, mimo że choć przesłania jego samą naturę, niesie informacje nie tylko o zawiłościach własnego zaistnienia (jako pochodnej interakcji metalu z otaczającym środowiskiem), ale jednocześnie sposób i warunki jej usunięcia przy zastosowaniu naukowych metod. Dlatego też nasze własne zanieczyszczenia, choć z jednej strony przynosić mogą nam tak wiele przykrych doświadczeń to jednak w samej swej istocie są niczym innym jak wyrażaniem nas samych w zderzeniu z aspektami i wpływami materialnego środowiska.

Aby łatwiej i bardziej uzmysłowić sobie jak się rzeczy mają i tym samym w większym stopniu czerpać prawdziwe korzyści z uśpionych możliwości w nas samych jako świadomych istot, wartałoby szerokopasmowo patrzeć na świat oczyma śastr, a w szczególności komentarzy Śrila Prabhupada, które niweczą nasze skłonności do trywialnego materialnym wpływem odbioru i rozumienia świata.

Dla przykładu inwokacja do Śri Isopanisad om purnam adach purnam wskazuje na to, że wszystko cokolwiek istnieje, jest kompletne i doskonałe i jako takie pozostaje w kompletnej równowadze. Oznacza to, że nic co dzieje się w naszych życiach nie jest przypadkowe ("nawet źdźbło trawy nie porusza się bez woli Boga") i że wszystko ma swój doskonały cel i swoje doskonałe przeznaczenie. Taka percepcja nie jest możliwa bez zdolności uświadamiania sobie obecności Kryszny we wszelkich fizycznych, psychicznych i wszelkich innych pojmowalnych i niepojmowalnych aspektach i przejawieniach rzeczywistości. Dlatego Śrila Prabhupada pisze w tak wielu miejscach w Swoich komentarzach, że istotą wszelkich zasad i reguł jest to, aby "zawsze pamiętać i nigdy nie zapominać o Krysznie".
Zachodzi więc pytanie w jaki sposób można widzieć Krysznę i Jego doskonały plan w naszych własnych życiach targanych wątpliwościami i pragnieniami ochrony wartości, które uznajemy za najpiękniejsze i najbardziej wartościowe. Czy należy bojkotować i unikać rzeczy, które w swych przejawieniach wydają się burzyć nasze szczere wysiłki i najpiękniejsze sentymenty związane z dążeniem do duchowej emancypacji? Czy unikanie odpowiedzialności za umyślnie i nieumyślnie popełniane błędy i chowanie głowy w piasek jest właściwym rozwiązaniem, czy też nie?
Moje zrozumienie tego problemu opiera się na prawdach natury Absolutu (prezentowanych między innymi w Isopanisad i CC) i w następstwie tego na głębokim poczuciu doskonałej i kompletnej i wszechprzenikającej w swojej istocie purnam harmonii istoty Wszechrzeczy.

Podobna sytuacja ma miejsce w filharmonii, gdzie zdarza się, że wrażliwa publiczność wpada w szczególnego rodzaju trans rozkoszując się bogactwem muzycznej harmonii będącej sumarycznym przejawieniem doskonałej i świadomej współpracy tak wielu artystów wyrażających swoją niepowtarzalność w ich unikalnie i indywidualnie różnorodnym poczuciu istoty piękna. Czasami zdarza się, że to cudowne poczucie harmonii ulega zaburzeniu i pojawia się coś, co w muzyce nazywa się dysonansem. Jakiś skowyt skrzypiec czy też zaburzenie rytmu lub obój podkreślający prawo do własnego istnienia. W ten sposób publiczność zostaje wybijana z transu i odczuwa pewnego rodzaju niepokój, swoiste wewnętrzne rozdarcie czy też nawet frustrację z powodu wytrącenia ze stanu równowagi w swej percepcji poczucia piękna. Lecz takie zaburzenie jest częścią spektaklu i dążeniem do osiągnięcia wyższego pułapu harmonii, która w swej naturze jest niedefiniowalna i nieograniczona i obejmuje także takie aspekty rzeczywistości, które mimo tego, że na pozór burzą, nie tylko nie burzą, ale wznoszą, porywają, wręcz zmuszają publiczność do osiągania coraz to wyższych i wyższych stanów percepcji harmonii i odczuwania istoty jej piękna. Dlatego powrót do stanu poczucia harmonii poprzez medium dysonansu, jako czynnika wybijającego i konsonansu wznoszącego na wyższe platformy harmonii jest przyczyną manifestacji tak wielu sprzecznych i spontanicznie niekontrolowanych emocji kulminujących w coraz to wyższych i wyższych stanach pojmowania i smakowania istoty piękna i jej harmonii.
kami

Post by kami »

as you has written - "nawet źdźbło trawy nie porusza się bez woli Boga" - I think, that everybody can do nothing without God's will, even Hari :lol:

try to write in English to evade making worry another users of this site.. main is not good, but I try to be understood :) your statements are interesting, but anothers can't taste them with pleasure :?

regards,
kami
Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse. [Pompeius]
Auttareya

Post by Auttareya »

kami wrote:as you has written - "nawet źdźbło trawy nie porusza się bez woli Boga" - I think, that everybody can do nothing without God's will, even Hari :lol:
Dobrze, że wreszcie ktoś to zauważył.
kami wrote:try to write in English to evade making worry another users of this site.. main is not good, but I try to be understood :) your statements are interesting, but anothers can't taste them with pleasure :?
Na etapie dysonansu trudno smakować rzeczywistość "with pleasure", gdyż taka jest właśnie jego natura. Dysonans rządzi się swoimi własnymi prawami. Ma on burzyć spokój, uwalniać od przywiązań, poszerzać horyzonty i otwierać umysły na współczucie i empatię.
Zanegowanie dysonansu i jego źródła owocować może tylko w stagnacji bez względu na to jak bardzo wydawałaby się ona nam słodka. Wtedy na pewno nie nastąpi konsonans.
Konsonans nie jest taki tani i wymaga wzajemnej współpracy wielu świadomych czynników.
Konsonans ma swoją cenę.