Personal Growth Through Self Awareness

A place where Harsi contributes links and information gathered from a variety of sources for the inspiration and evolution of all.
harsi

Post by harsi »

Ezine Articles

By Voranc Kutnik

I spent last week in a small city in Belgium where I was finishing one project on-site. This means that after work I had quite a lot of time for myself...which I also spent it for testing a great Belgian beers. It all started the first night when I sat on the market full of people and decided to practice self awareness for 1 hour by focusing on the present moment. It was an interesting experience so I decided to spent my free time at the evenings for some self awareness analysis and here is my point of view about how to live more consciously.

The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance. ~Nathaniel Branden

What is self awareness? Self awareness is a fundamental component of personal growth. It is achieved by reflecting on your intentions and your actions. Think of self awareness as a way of seeing your behaviors and even your thoughts from the perspective of another person. Self-awareness helps you better understand your values, personality, needs, habits, emotions, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Stephen R. Covey, author of the great book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People says that self awareness is the most important out of seven human endowments. Some others human endowments are conscience, imagination and independent will. Self awareness enables us to stand apart and examine the way we "see" ourselves. If you wanna change something, you first need to become aware of it! It helps to get out of your head and just enjoy in the moment. You must develop your self awareness and become responsible for your own actions and stop blaming others for the failures in your life. Our success in life comes from a self awareness of how we think, choose and evaluate opportunities.

What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself. ~Abraham Maslow

Developing your self awareness? There is no real magic. You just have to notice the moment and start noticing everything around you. You should train yourself, to become skilled in observing and monitoring your internal state. Because when you are self aware, you can access a vital mechanism for noticing what is going on within you and you can manage your internal state. You can also take responsibility, start to have choice and you can do something about it. Self awareness can also be developed using meditation, which helps you to refocus your mind and concentrate on your inner state.

You can help yourself becoming more self aware by writing a diary which lets you review your progress, habits, emotions, etc. Journaling and writing things down is a powerful technique by itself. Remember, becoming self aware helps you stay on track with your self improvement and personal growth goals and it also helps you become more self reliant and self motivated.