Mother Durga and Lord Brahma

A place to ask Hari, exchange ideas with him, give some suggestions, or share some ideas with him on existence. This forum is not the place to discuss anything related to his former status or situation. Hari will reply to all texts.
kamalamala1

Mother Durga and Lord Brahma

Post by kamalamala1 »

Hi Harijee

We got information from Vedic litarature about different Super Beings, Gods who are controling and managing this universe.
But sometime personally i cannot really understand there roles proparly.
For example i want to ask you about Mother Durga .
Can you say wath is the role of Mother Durga in universe ?And also Parvati Ma.
Since it is said that they are the source of the Universe.Can we say that universe apeared because of them.,?
And also we know about Lord Brahama who is incharge of Universe so wath is his role?
Hari
Site Admin

Re: Mother Durga and Lord Brahma

Post by Hari »

This question is a bit difficult to answer, so I will make some comments and perhaps expand an answer later (or not!).

They are not the source of the universe and the universe does not appear because of them.

Speaking about their roles in this forum seems strange to me. If you need "vedic" information, you have your sources and you also know the answers. If you want more information than that, I am not sure I can assist you.

For example, what is your role? And how does that question make you feel? If you were to summarize the role of your mother as, "She gave me birth, she fed and clothed me, and cared for me and loves me," does this give valuable information about your mother and do you like to think of her in that manner?

If someone were to ask "What is the role of Hari in this world?," I think I would be somewhat perturbed by this question. Why do I have to have a role? Is my life determined by some role? Can't I be me, doing what I can do to be of service? Boiling me down to a role is not nice, at least from my point of view. And therefore I do not wish to be involved in doing that for the personalities you asked about.

I am not putting off your question, my answer might give more information than you might imagine!
kamalamala1

Post by kamalamala1 »

Maybe the ward role i use was inproper.
The real question is to trying understand there personalityes not only from image we have but from
there activities there responsibilityes there sphere if we can use this wards for them.
Like you said that we can feel Vayu deva from air and Varuna from wather/
From scriptures one can have different conclusions
kamalamala1

Post by kamalamala1 »

We dont have any real information about Them only some storyes wich hardly one can really understand .My question is just a try to understand There Great personalities more deeply/
To make our awarness more large and deep nothing else. Since i am ( and not only I)warshiping Them long time and naturally want to know more about Them They are is centre of our activites.
I understand and know that they cannot have a role
this ward i used only because of lack of my English sorry.
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

I understand that you did not mean role, but your question is still not easy to answer. Here is a basic reply that might help, but more than that you have to uncover yourself using the hints I give here.

Goddess Parvati is the wife of Lord Siva and as such she supports him in all that he does. She does not have a role, a task, or some dominion over some aspect of the universe. She is the mother to her children, and she will support whoever approaches her in that mood to some extent, if she so desires to do so. She is a private person and is not eager to engage outside of her family.

As we know, however, she is far more than that and has enormous potency that is rarely seen except to her family. Because she does not wish to directly engage outside of her family, her primary expansion, Goddess Durga, reaches into this universe for the sake of all beings. Durga devi further expands into many forms. She is accessible and available to everyone who tunes to her energy and desires her help and assistance. She is the most powerful warrior when she wishes to be, able to wreck destruction on those she decides to destroy, yet she is kind and loving to those who reciprocate with her in a loving manner. She can bless, offer benedictions, increase the potency and opulence of one who satisfies her and she is generally a shelter for anyone who desires it. Many take advantage of her nature for their own gain and and some amongst them care little for her as a person. It is difficult for her to see such selfishness for she desires the greatest benefit to all. Thankfully, there are many who love her for who she is and are grateful for her presence in their lives. She projects the love and service that is the nature of Goddess Parvati throughout this universe.
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

Oh, and Brahma! I forgot.

I do not have much access to him so I cannot really say much. Sorry...
harsi

Post by harsi »

I must voice my surprise in this regard too, if I am allowed to intervene a little in this discussion. My perplexity goes in the direction of how can I know anything about those gods, if I want at the same time to stand also above, or not involve myself to much with those revealed scriptures who seemingly contain some informations about those divine beings. If I want to see and be able to look at this things more objectively so called? Off course there might be certain people one could praise and held in high esteem for their ability to be recipients of certain divine revelations. That I dont want to negate. I am a rational individual who believes in God but one who made also his experiences with God in various situations of his life. But access to demigods I dont have nor did I experienced anything about their activities in my life. What I know, but that also just from hearsay, is that they would be somehow involved in certain parts and functions of my physical body and the greater body of the universe.
kamalamala1

Post by kamalamala1 »

Thank you Hari for your answer.
kamalamala1

Post by kamalamala1 »

Harijee i want to thank you again for wath you wrote about Parvati Ma
so powerfull.
kamalamala1

Post by kamalamala1 »

Durga Ma is mother of Universe?
Can we consider Srimati Radharani,Mother Sarasvati and Mother Lakshmi as our mothers also,?
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

This question really agitated my mind. Days ago, when I first read it, I ripped off a sarcastic reply. Being a wishy wash, and also trying to be cultured, I deleted it. It is not your fault and your question is neither bad nor deserving of my harsh reaction.

But your question brings up problems in perception and definition that I need to address even though I would rather avoid it. But you asked, so I should. Ah life...

Why do you wish to equate Goddess Parvati and Goddess Durga? Why do you want to add Ma after their names? They are not the same person, although certainly, energetically speaking, they are similar considering their sources and the hierarchy of expansions descending from Sri Radha. No human can truly understand what an expansion is. We hold onto a philosophical idea that allows us to neatly define the concept without having a clue what it entails in practical reality. Therefore, we tend to make things equal as we seek simple solutions. But no, they are not equal, not the same, and do different things in their different lives.

Ugh, when I hear you ask to consider Radha as mother I cringe. Saraswati and Laksmi are someone's mother, but not mine. Why do you need to consider them as mother? Aren't they fine as they are? You have a really nice mother. You love her. How many mothers can one have? Ok, sure, Hindu's love to have tons of mothers. They see mother everywhere. All women are mother! But they are also trying to contain their lust by calling some women as mother. Oedipus anyone?

Indians will be upset with my words here. Western hindus of any nationality will feel offended. But I cannot change how I feel and I have no interest in telling you why I feel how I feel. I cannot understand why we need so many mothers. I cannot imagine how some of the devas feel when being addressed in this way, but then again, considering how people use the devas to fulfill their desires, calling some of them mother seems to be a great way to get what they want. After all, isn't the mother supposed to supply us things?

Are you your mother's servant or do you do things for her out of love alone? Do you have to learn how to relate to your mother? The word, "mother," carries with it many connotations and I have a hard time with most of them. Maybe I have mother issues? :shock: Who knows? Or maybe I am fine with my own mother and have issues with having to see these other wonderful personalities as mother when they are perhaps something else to me?

And here is the point. If someone is your mother, you know it. You do not need to ask someone if it is ok to think of them as mother, unless of course you were abandoned at birth and had no idea who your mother was and now you wish to reconnect. But in this case bitter feelings might accompany your endeavor and confuse you more. This is not the case here because none of the personalities you mentioned abandoned you. So you will know who they are naturally, without asking me.

If your question is merely, "Is it ok to do so?" my answer is, "Depends on you!" You now know how I see this issue.
kamalamala1

Post by kamalamala1 »

Thank you very much for your such a very interesting and complitly unexpected answer.
You know we was teached 20-30 years in wellknown organisation in standard formulas without real experiance.
So it is very good that we have at least a chance to realy know now wath is wath.
Thanks a lot

But still there are tons of questions in this regard.
Vajra

Post by Vajra »

Dear Hari
All the ways we adress God, as we was teached is in different rasas.
So in this regard arising question.
Does this theory of rasas realy practical and a way to relate with God,?
Or maybe one should not at all think about all rasas and theory but just aproach God as his hearth tell?

Thank you
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

The categories of rasa represent basic ways in which people interact. We could just as well say that we can relate with God as a person in whatever way our relationship exists or as it develops. For example, the relationship of a mother to her child is naturally arising from the child having taken birth from her womb. One can redefine how good or bad a mother might be, how much she might care about her offspring, or how important she is to the child, for example, but the basic relationship is inherent in the physical act of giving birth. Friends are friends because they want to be and lovers are lovers because they want to be. Although they might worry about intensifying their relationship, who they are to each other depends on chemistry, desire, and experience.

To answer: I recommend that you just be yourself and relate with Radha and Krsna as you can and as you desire. Just open communication, share energy, do things for them, and see what happens. They are very communicative, they share powerfully, and they are well aware of your relationship with them. Just perceive it; that is all that is required. Don't worry about making it fit into some category.