Faith and Religion

A place to ask Hari, exchange ideas with him, give some suggestions, or share some ideas with him on existence. This forum is not the place to discuss anything related to his former status or situation. Hari will reply to all texts.
Gaura

Faith and Religion

Post by Gaura »

Dear Hari.

Today I have a discussion about the faith and religion.
And I would like to know your opinion about this topic.

I think that faith kills once aspiration to research the truth by his self and force
one to remain in sleep. One who is full of faith is a dead men in that sense.
This faith bounds ones hand and makes people faiths slave and from another hand it
gives a freedom for man to be not responsible for his own life. Why research our
way to the truth if everything already there: heaven, hell, demigods, Gods,
gurus... All the path is well known from the time immemorial. So one have to
blindly(mechanically) follow this path(like a train on rails) and he will be
granted all the promised things. Sometimes this goes deep into ones
subconsciousness and one even don't ask about this things.

It seems that religion in the beginning frightens people and then shows the exit
from that "HELL, demons...". What if there was not fifth canto of Srimad
Bhagavatam, or Dantes hell then would people blindly believe in 33 million
demigods, or something they didn't saw or fill? Then how could all that religious
manipulate poor people?

What if all the HELL is concocted and the real hell is here, when one feels that
he is separate from all around world and is not feeling oneness of everything.
And after being cured from all that stereotypes one can finally freely breathe
without any harassment and really start to research the truth,by making conscious
effort.

It seem the MAIN THING is to have VERY HUGE EAGERNESS to find out the truth.
Only this differs one from all around people who live their life in sleep
(whether having faith or being atheist).

When I'm concentrating on "here and now" I feel very safe. It's seems that all
the "concocted things" or something which are not my realization are disappeared
in a moment. There is no place for them in that moment (in now). If there is all
these religious things then all these can come and I would believe otherwise way
should I?

Sorry for me being very radical, but I tried to be very honest with my thoughts. :roll:
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

I have removed the little discussion that followed this question as it was confusing my capacity to post a reply. Harsi, you can post after my reply in whatever way you want.

Dear Gaura,

I really respect your honesty of expression. Thank you for it. Seekers of the truth do not feel offended by others expressions when these expressions manifest from their heart. The sincerity of one who has contacted his or her being is exquisite and always welcome. This does not mean it is always easy to speak with them for this sincerity comes with a great intensity that stirs up deep emotions in others. I think this is good. I am not sure all can handle it, but I am sure it would be good for them to try.
It seem the MAIN THING is to have VERY HUGE EAGERNESS to find out the truth.
Only this differs one from all around people who live their life in sleep
(whether having faith or being atheist).
I agree with this. There is a substantial difference between what we believe to be truth and what we know to be truth. A pitfall appears when we so much wish to believe in something that we accept it as the truth by losing sight of the fact that we originally simply believed it to be true.

For example, I have a spiritual wish to advance in my spiritual life. I come upon some philosophy that makes me feel good. I spend some time listening and reading. After a while I accept it and commit myself to believe it, for it is inherent in religion that those who are advanced fully believe. I accept this and believe it because I wish to. It makes me feel right. It makes sense to me at the time and answers most of the questions I had in my life. It has been echoed through time by many others in different ways. Everyone around me accepts it and reinforces my belief. I run with the group and feel secure in the group for the group is a good source of support. Finally my questions are answered and I feel safe. I am relieved. "Pilgrim, your search is over." I rest my weary feet. Future challenges are averted. My path is clear. I will sail home.

Not so simple, as many find later on. Belief in something is quite different than experiencing it with one’s inner being. One can talk oneself into thinking that this firm belief is the key to the experience, but generally it is not. When one realizes that the belief is not the same as the experience, one then questions oneself and one’s personal capacity to experience the promised experiences for one has accepted the belief so deeply that it becomes axiomatic and therefore sacrosanct. One cannot think the fault in one’s lack of experience lies in what one believes. One concludes that the obvious source of the fault is oneself. This leads to self-condemnation for not being good enough to get the realization which was promised by the belief. This leads to stagnation, denial, pain, struggle, intense activity, a lot of ‘mea culpa,’ and so on. In some few it leads to an intensification of the effort to get the experience that is promised. Some drop away from the path and lament. Some languish in lamentation while still officially on the path. Oh, you get the picture!

I am not stating categorically that just because you believe something to be true it is not! Neither am I saying that just because you accept a package of beliefs that this therefore invalidates all of them. There is much more to religion nowadays than philosophy or prayer. There are expectations, rules and regulations, disciplines, economic responsibilities, works to be done, and so on, all of which are not specifically related to the beliefs but which package the beliefs into an institution. Problems occur when these packaged beliefs start to contradict the ‘core’ beliefs which make the package attractive.

And yet, there is a good possibility that some of these core beliefs are also just beliefs. It is also possible that they are distorted visions of reality or at least of any reality available for us to experience. Because this possibility exists, a seeker of the truth needs a bit of freedom to determine at all times if the Promised Land is more than just a promise.

Considering that believing in something to be the truth and having experience of a very deep and fundamental spiritual contact, (which I suppose we would call a "truth" which in this case refers to it being of the higher essence we have been seeking) are decidedly different, the question arises, "How to avoid being captured by belief if this diminishes our capacity to live that truth as the essence of our souls?" I shall answer your question as if it were phrased in this manner for I feel this is the essence of the topic.

The key is, as you said, a very huge eagerness (without the screaming, yet relevant capitals!) to live one’s own truth. This does not mean that one’s own truth is different from "the truth" and therefore somehow less relevant. This means that truth, whatever that means to you, is intricately bound to what you are, for your experience of it is only as valuable as your capacity to appreciate it. Even if there is an absolute truth, and I am not trying to deny its existence here, I can only accept or taste that part of it which relates to me for I am the one who experiences. Your truth or your experiences are fine for you, but they do not necessarily relate to me unless you have the mystic capacity to share your experiences with me to the degree that they become my experiences. I have to find my experience for this experience is the realization so often spoken about in the religious literatures. A belief is a kind of experience and can also be quite relevant in certain circumstances. Belief can be closely related to faith and the flush that faith can give you when you sincerely, earnestly, and powerfully believe. Picture the faithful dancing in the chapel and proclaiming, "I believe! I have seen!" I do not say this lightly or disdainfully as is often done by those who profess a different kind of faith; rather, I am saying that their experience is a product of their strong and fervent belief, not necessarily of the truth they have experienced. For many, this experience of the manifestation of the miracles attainable through their strong faith is all the experience they need, and this is a magnificent experience in itself. God can work many wonders in many ways. Since people are very attracted to their beliefs, God can enter into their lives as a powerful confirmation of their faith.

But to turn these experiences or beliefs into an absolute, unchangeable and intolerant manifestation of what is right, what is godly, and what is the best thing for everyone else, is a twist which distorts the purpose of the mercy granted them. Here is where things get sticky.

Many of us in these forums have seen these twists in action and have been on the wrong side of the distortions. Seeing these manifestations of religious fervor from the other side of the fence has been a real eye-opener. Therefore we declare our freedom from belief. We state clearly and unequivocally, "We shall remain always seekers of the truth. We shall examine all things from every possible angle available to us. We shall never allow beliefs to limit our evolution; neither shall we allow them to limit our actions if these limitations prevent us from useful and growth-giving experiences. We shall not follow anyone or anything, for we respect our own intelligence and our capacity to decide for ourselves what is best for us. Yet we shall hear what all have to offer, especially those who assist us in our research. We shall live in the present, not the past, for life only exists in the present. We shall follow our hearts, yet are ready to accept change, transformation, and challenge, especially when it comes through our realization of how our accepted value structures, thought or emotional patterns have limited us. We are always ready to right wrongs, be kind and considerate, and to politely, yet firmly, deny attempts to place us within other’s definitions or requirements. We stand on our own two feet, on the ground, reaching to the heavens and ready to accept ourselves, the world, and our pathways as they are. We simply wish to know what is, not what we wish it to be, think it should be, or what others say it should be or is. Yet, we shall always work to make life better for ourselves and all others by being ready to render service to them as we can and as they require. We therefore wish to be of service; not to be servants."
Gaura

Post by Gaura »

Thank you. You have wonderfully understood my point and answered even to my inner questions.
Specially I like this part: "We state clearly and unequivocally:!" and I with two hands vote for that statement.

After reading your text several times I appreciate the depth of your thoughts, how you could see the issue from different point of view. Though your point of view is slightly differ, but we mean the same feelings and that prove that the truth is unlimited. It’s impossible to pack the truth in the box and make label on it "Truth". It will not work if we try to force the truth be what we expect it be, or taught it to be - it’s better being totally neutral try to understand it with all of our heart, with our essence.
harsi

Post by harsi »

[quote="Hari"]I have removed the little discussion that followed this question as it was confusing my capacity to post a reply. Harsi, you can post after my reply in whatever way you want.

No problem dear Hari. I appreciate very much your thoughtfull and liberall way of writing.

" We shall follow our hearts, yet are ready to accept change, transformation, and challenge, especially when it comes through our realization of how our accepted value structures, thought or emotional patterns have limited us. We are always ready to right wrongs, be kind and considerate, and to politely, yet firmly, deny attempts to place us within other’s definitions or requirements. We stand on our own two feet, on the ground, reaching to the heavens and ready to accept ourselves, the world, and our pathways as they are. We simply wish to know what is, not what we wish it to be, think it should be, or what others say it should be or is. Yet, we shall always work to make life better for ourselves and all others by being ready to render service to them as we can and as they require. We therefore wish to be of service; not to be servants."

Yet on the other hand, for some of us, what you are writing sounds like the following explanation I came across this days in one magazine.

"One hour with a pretty girl goes like a minute, but a minute spendet on a hot stove seems to last an hour."

Albert Einstein,s explanation of relativity, which he has given to his secretary, so she can give it to reporters and other uninitiated persons or layman.
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

I was astonished at minuteness and many-dimensionality of the answer, at revelation of many topics untouched in question. As usual after reading beautiful thoughts I felt that these thoughts were mine, but I never could formulate them so. Thank You!
Dear Hari, could You please to clarify (to evolve) You following statement:

Hari wrote:We therefore wish to be of service; not to be servants."
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

A servant is by definition one who serves others. The implication, often unstated but always present, is that one must do it. This reminds one of the servants of rich people, the serfs on the land of the nobles, or other exploitative situations.

When one devotee writes to another, "your humble servant," after writing them scathing words, something which is common, we can understand that they do not believe in the above definition of the term "servant." If I am your servant then I will do what you want, but as I am not your servant I will not really do that if what you want is different from what I am willing to give. In reality, I pick and choose how to serve you when I wish. This is quite different from a person who is employed or forced to be a servant for they have to do what the 'master' or employer wants when commanded or requested to do so.

Now none of us are comfortable with being commanded to do something as it is not in our personal culture or even a personal value. Sure someone can say they believe in this as it was stated somewhere or by someone and we must be followers and we must believe and we must serve for this is our nature and so on. Those who feel like that will force themselves to do something they do not feel like doing, or even do something that they know inside to be wrong on the basis of their being a servant, a follower, and therefore the responsibility of what they do belongs to the master (see any and all texts by Auttareya who personifies this conception and strives to find peace within himself by demanding the master accept his responsibility ['his' can refer to either party as you wish] for he was a follower).

In reality we choose to serve when we feel it is right to do so according to a way we feel is correct and proper. When seen with a clear head, what we are really doing is being of service to others. When you wish to be of service it empowers you rather than disempowers you. You are choosing to be of service according to what you feel is right when you feel it is right according to the best of all involved. If you do not wish to do something you do not have to, neither can anyone force you. Afterwards you do not have to feel guilty for you are in control of what you do, not someone else. The good you do is yours for you chose to do it, not that it belongs to the one who ordered you. The bad you do is also yours for the same reason. This is responsible action.

Therefore, in some cases to be a servant means to attempt to avoid responsibility. Some people use being a servant as a means to avoid all personal responsibility. To be of service means to fully embrace personal responsibility.

One could go on and on about how exploitation often is justified by being a servant. Many have used this explanation in court, even in military courts. But I will let you figure that out for yourself.

When I decided not to be a servant as this put me in extreme conflict with my personal ideals and values, I transformed my way of thought to defining what I do as being of service for it always allowed me to keep my personal ideals and values as the underlying factors in how I would be of service to others.
Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Dear Hari!
Recently I have read in one book an interesting answer about distinction between religion and yoga. I have understood from it that yoga is a living process of searching the truth, and one has to believe only in one thing: the truth exists, that’s why I search it. Beside of this the yoga does not need rituals and dogmas. Yogi, searching the truth, can change his outlook many times. And religion is an accepting the form of truth that this organization holds to. It bases on rituals and dogmas. It proves its truth to itself. The believer, being in religious organization, cannot to question its traditions, form of the truth. Otherwise he will have to leave this organization. As I have understood from Your answers, You call upon to leave the life of the religious man and become yogi.

With respect to all, Oleg.